Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Larry Update Skin Shading

Shading skin takes forever!!! Haha. It's going well, I am going to add more detail and make him look legit, putting a normal map on his hair, adding more detail to the skin and make him feel more solid, give him some type of  eyelashes. I have this comparison/reference from Megamind that is helping.

A couple questions: First- the eyes. Right now to me they feel like perfectly white cartoony eyes with a pupil. We have the option of putting in the iris. Perhaps I shall post up a comparison of what he looks like with an iris so you can see what I mean. And his teeth, should he have teeth like Hal and Metroman? Or should I keep them all one solid piece? Give me some input and I'll tell you my opinion after.


Jarom is shading the paper bag right now, learning how to do it procedurally while Jedi is shading the bench and has made some tweaks to the model. Here's what he has so far. (the old model has the first layer of the bump map applied so far while the new model of the bench (which I think looks stellar, doesn't have a bump yet).

I have a ways to go, I'll finish him this week ( a few days late), and my small shading crew will have all the shading done by the first day of classes.

And here is Larry with an iris.


11 comments:

  1. This is looking sooooooooo awesome!! I definitely want to see what he looks like with irises.
    There is something I meant to tell you a while ago. I think that the lip color will need to be closer to his skin color. I say this because I worry that when the lips deform through blend shapes they will look all cray cray. It might start looking like the volume of the lip geometry would change as his blend shapes move. I don't know, I just think if it was more uniform with the color of his skin, it wouldn't be so crazy. Doe's that make any sense? Maybe I'm foreseeing a problem that we wouldn't need to worry about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. K. Thanks for letting me know. I'll do that.

      Delete
    2. awesome. Yeah kind of the way metroman's lips are in the picture above.

      Delete
    3. Oh, and thanks for putting lens in his glasses!

      Delete
    4. Yeah I hope that works with the rig... Don't you have to put that in or do you parent the glasses to him?

      Delete
    5. hmm yeah we'll just have to parent the glasses to the lenses, the glasses are already parented to the head. It shouldn't bring any problems. And the lips look awesome!
      I personally feel that he looks better with the iris. It also seems to more closely resemble the megamind-type style we're going for.

      Delete
  2. Just my two cents...

    I'd give him more stylized, Hal-like teeth. Metroman's teeth are pretty generic and, frankly, boring. Larry strikes me as more of a bumbling, bordering on unlikeable, character and having more stylized teeth plusses that in a subtle way.

    Excellent work; keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure how detailed he'll be able to get with the teeth, since all I gave him for geometry was two half pipes. It's not separated into individual teeth or anything.

      Delete
    2. A normal map will solve that issue. For both the hair and teeth. :)

      Delete
    3. NICE! let's get normal up in here.

      Delete
  3. Okay, the 'just pupil' idea was actually my idea and it looks like crap. Sorry Garrett. It works for the drawing but looks really creepy as a 3D model. Stick the irises in...but just for me could you do one the size you currently have and then try a second one a teeeeeeny bit smaller?

    Regarding the teeth...I have no idea. I'm kind of with Herzog. Larry's got a really stylized jaw, hair, and body proportions...so maybe his teeth should be a little stylized too.

    I agree with Aaron. His lips looked almost chapped on the first image, but it looks like you fixed it with the second.

    The bench looks fantastic. Don't really have anything to say about it.

    Keep it up Garrett!

    ReplyDelete