Monday, August 13, 2012

Questions

I have a few things about the background paintings that I would like to run past you guys.

As of right now, I think I will be doing two paintings - one of the scene behind the bench, and one of the scene behind the fountain.  Do I paint the brick wall that is behind the bench or will that be modeled?  Also, do you want everything on one plane, or different parts on different planes (trees, buildings, sky, etc).  I personally feel that it may work best that way, but that's just me.

This is a more detailed question, but how large of a painting do you think I should do.  Any recommendations would be appreciated.  I just want to make sure that it is high enough resolution so that it will not pixellate.  It would be helpful to know what resolution (width, height) the film will be so that the painting can be proportionate.  Thanks guys.  I'll be getting the painting done as soon as I can before school starts.



4 comments:

  1. Woah. I don't know the size and resolution stuff... All I can say is that I agree that it should be separate planes. I always thought the wall would be modeled/textured. Alyssa, we should talk on the phone sometime. Yah?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah I'm free whenever, or I can call you, whatever works. Garret commented with great advice for the size and resolution.

      Delete
  2. Raph taught me this way to figure out for textures to make sure you can minimize the texture size without pixellating. Just look at the storyboards and measure the distance of the closest up shot the background will be seen. Then at a resolution of 72 in photoshop (280+ is for printing, 72 is for purely digital, so its up to you), then see at a render resolution of 720x1333 what the smallest the background painting can be so you don't have to deal with huge photoshop files.

    So if 25% of the background is seen at 720x1333 (our render settings), then you'll need to make your painting 4x bigger than 720x1333.

    Does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete